Instead of risking the possibility of hurting yourself, professional moving companies in Montgomery County, PA like Dan the Mover, encourage you to trust experienced professionals when it comes to organizing, packing and moving your belongings. Even so, they still want those determined to complete demanding tasks on their own to use proper techniques while lifting heavy objects. To avoid compressing the spinal discs or straining your lower back muscles while lifting, here are some important tips:
- First, you want to make sure you keep a wide base of support. While in this position, your feet should be shoulder-width apart, with one foot slightly in front of the other (like a karate stance).
- When you’re ready to squat down, bend at the hips and knees only. When necessary, put one knee to the floor and your other knee in front of you, so that it’s bent at a right angle. You should be “half-kneeling” at this point.
- Maintain good posture. Look straight ahead, keep your back straight, your chest out and your shoulders back. This will help to keep your upper back straight while having a small arch in your lower back.
- Once you’re ready, lift slowly by straightening your hips and knees instead of your back. Make sure you keep your back straight the entire time and don’t twist your body as you lift.
- At this point, hold the load as close to your body as possible. It should be held level with your belly button.
- As you’re walking with the box, use your feet to change direction while taking small steps.
- When you switch direction, lead with your hips, and make sure your shoulders are in line with them as you’re moving.
- Once you reach where you want to put the box, use only your knees and hips to squat low and set down your load carefully.
Here are three things to always keep in mind while lifting:
- Never attempt to lift by bending forward. Instead, make sure you’re bending your hips and knees to squat down to your load. In addition, keep it close to your body and straighten your legs to lift up.
- Do not lift a heavy object above shoulder level.
- Refrain from turning or twisting your body while lifting or holding a heavy object
Eliminate the risk of injury completely by contacting Dan the Mover, who specializes in both residential and commercial moving in Montgomery County, PA and Bucks County. For a free estimate, call 215-309-8222 or fill out a contact form by visiting http://danthemover.com/estimate/.